A textile designer creates patterns for knitted, woven or printed fabrics. He/she also supervises the whole process of manufacturing a fabric. A textile designer’s job entails the following 3 steps:
Step 1 – Selecting the raw materials to be used. For e.g. yarn, wool, fibre, cotton etc.
Step 2 – Designing patterns to be imprinted on the fabric
Step 3 – Supervising the whole production process from raw material stage to product stage
The Positives & Negatives
Just like every other profession, being a textile designer has its positives & negatives.
- Seeing your creations worn by other people feels extremely satisfying
- Starting a business is easy as fabric manufacturing will never go out of fashion
- Knowledge of using updated CAD tools will give you an edge over established designers in the market
- Skills gained can be used in several other professions
- Textile design market is extremely competitive
- Creative blocks can lead to frustration & fights with superiors
As per payscale.com, a textile designer will get an annual income of INR 3,71,878 on average. The lowest range (starting salary) is INR 1,80,000 & highest is INR 7,20,000. Most textile designers eventually begin their own business for freedom in creativity & higher earnings.
You should consider getting a bachelor’s degree in textile design from a reputed fashion school. If not a degree, you can take up an associate course in CAD.
Some natural talents are very important to make is a textile designer. These are -
- Awareness Of Current Trends
- Creative/Disruptive Mindset
- An Eye For Colour
A sure-shot way of staying ahead of your competition is by gaining practical experience before you get a formal degree. For e.g.. an internship with a big apparel organisation will increase your chances of success by a huge margin.
Another noteworthy way of achieving success in textile design is staying updated with the fast-moving technological developments happening in the field.
Do you have any questions about Textile Designing? Want to know more about textile design courses? Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org/+91 9351410841