Are you unhappy or in dilemma with your present career path? There are times when our job doesn’t seem satisfying or we find ourselves in a situation where we aren’t sure which field or goal to pursue to make a career out of it. Such situations can be easily dealt with help of career counselor or career coach.
A coach can help you figure out your long term career goals like planning your retirement or pursuing a dream position in a firm. They can also assist you with short-term and immediate goals such as landing a job to even building a powerful resume.
- A career coach or counselor is an expert that helps an individual come up with a plan for their career, and make plans for them to achieve their goals.
- They make strategies that can help clients find employment or make a shift in career and so on.
- A school, college, or state department can employ counselors. Also, there are private counseling agencies too.
How a Counselor Can Help You Get Your Dream Career?
- Career counselors ask you questions, conduct various aptitude tests, personality tests, and so on. They assist the client in exploring other career options and choosing the one that satisfies them.
- A coach will also help you come to terms with personal or professional issues that might be affecting your career growth.
Tips that will Help Get a Right Career Counselor
If you want appropriate guidance and counseling for your career, you have to find a coach that is an expert in his/her field and who you are comfortable with.
Here are some tips that can help you:
Take a look at the degrees and credentials of the counselor before signing the contract. You want to work with a professional and not someone who doesn’t understand the minute details of career counseling.
Check their reviews
Search the counselor on web or talk to his/her previous clients who recommended her. Before you finalize a coach for yourself, make sure you check what people are saying about her/him/
Ask questions like:
- What are her weaknesses or strengths as a counselor?
- As a client would you recommend her again or go back to her again?
Cost- per visit or package
A counselor can charge you per visit or provide you with a package with a limited number of sessions. It is better to go with a counselor who charges you per visit as the packages are always too expensive.
Level of comfort
Let your first session with the counselor be a trial. It will help you assess whether you are comfortable with him/her or not.
Taking help from a career counselor is a logical step if you feel lost in your career. Follow these tips, and you will find a coach who can guide you in the best direction possible.